Friday, November 13, 2009

Drinking water from the jar

Funky Friday it was. This whole week has been an up & down week for me. I have had breakthrough moments and slumps, and today had exactly both.

A lunch time surprise. My mom called and wanted to go on a lunch date. It was exactly what I needed today as I had a case of the funky fridays.

We decided to venture into The Big City Coffee Shop as we were starving! It was either that or Donnie Mac's Trailer Park Cuisine. I am laughing as I type this, because it sounds bad, so we decided to steer clear!


My mom is a very organic health wise person. So I can appreciate a good meal with her because I know I am going to get something healthy and Delicious. We started by ordering waters. As J. Alabama always says "Dehydration is a soldiers worst enemy". So to that I say, Bottoms up!

They served our waters in these huge mason jars. It was really awesome actually.

Then we decided to split a turkey, cream cheese, avocado & sprouts sammie. Little did we know it was going to be a mile high and loaded with chips & salsa.
But oh so delish!

And who couldn't resist a bowl of tomato basil ravioli soup? We surely couldn't so split a bowl of that too. Mmmm... that hit the spot for sure!

Lunch date = awesomeness! Thanks mom, I needed a nutritious meal.

But my guilt has set in. It's what I am referring to as the funky Friday. I had an invitation to go after work to have margaritas. I really wanted to go. But I feel as though I have had such a bad week food wise, (with the exception of Fun w/ Fruits Night), that I couldn't put myself through the agony of more chips & salsa, margaritas and who knows what else.

I am the type of person who doesn't buy bad tempting foods, because they will get devoured quickly. I found that I can only resist temptation when it's not staring me in the face. When temptation is right in front of me, it's a slow struggle and I usually give in.

I also had the guilt of not working out today. I planned to get up and go to a bodypump class this morning. Even the boyfriend was up and out of bed at 5:30 am. But I didn't even budge. And this is after I encouraged Gina at Looking Forward that it's just that easy. Ha! I feel your inner struggle. I re-set my alarm to a more decent hour, and closed my eyes like nothing ever happened. This pretty much set the mood for the day. I felt better after my lunch date and even half way decided to go and only have one margarita. But there were cookies & chocolate in the office that I have failed to mention. These tasty treats managed to maneuver their ways into my mouth. This solidified to me that margaritas and more were going to further take me backwards in my journey.

Drinking a margarita (this is saying I would have self control and only have the one), still would have inhibited me from going to the gym later, therefore turning into a double negative for me.

So I made the decision that I am going to the gym. I am doing it right this minute. Right now before I make up any more excuses or waste any more time. I did not go to margarita night, so I better make up for it by killing it on the treadmill.

My ultimate goal is to run a marathon, which why I started this blog. But along the way I want to live a healthy & active life. I want to get my body to a place where I feel comfortable and happy. I just realized that every choice can determine how quickly I get to my goal.

So off to the gym I go!

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Linz! I'm sure you feel MUCH better now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on choosing the gym. I used to have co-workers at my old job who would go to Happy hour every other day...and I always wanted to go, but then I wouldn't be able to go to the gym after having a drink. Sadly back then, I often chose Happy Hour. Now I can easily say no and do what's right for me, but it took some practice:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the rest of your day went well!! I know the feeling of a Funky Friday (or Funky Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...) and how one decision can start the day off on the wrong foot. I'm so impressed you were able to turn things around -- when I have a funky day I have a hard time getting back on track until the next day.

    Getting healthy is really all about the little choices we make each day adding up, and it looks like you made the right choice last night, as awesome as margarita night sounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey...just stumbled upon your blog and just wanted to leave a lil' note because I was so impressed that you said no to margarita night so you wouldn't get further behind. Its so great that you are making yourself and your healthy lifestyle the priority. Good for you, you seem to have come a long way!!

    ReplyDelete